Saturday, November 18, 2017
       
  Home  
       
  WHAT WE DO  
       
  WHO TO CALL  
       
  Boston Area  
       
  Towns of Metro Boston  
       
  Home Buying Process  
       
  Financing  
       
  Home Inspection  
       
  Media says EBA  
       
  Buyer Beware  
       
  Cash Back  
       
  New Built Homes  
       
  Recent Sales  
       
  Tips for Buyers  
       
  We're Different  
       
  Pre-Approval  
       
  Compare Houses  
       
  School Reports  
       
  EBA Defined  
       
  Hall of Fame  
       
  Homebuying Books  
       
  Most Firms List Homes  
       
  Agency Disclosure  
       
  BLOG  
       
  News Update  
       
  Mortgage Glossary  
       
  Loan Shopping  
       
  TWEETS  
       
  Town Information  
       
  Appraisal vs Assessment  
       
  Help for SELLERS  
       
  Mortgage Videos  
       
  Procuring Cause  
       
  FHA Approved Condos  
       
  Facebook  
       
  APPLIANCES Life Expectancy  
       
  Contact Us  
       
 

UNDERSTANDING THE CITY OF NEWTON

Known as the Garden City, Newton is bounded on three sides by the Charles River. With a population of about 85,000 and a  land area of over 18 square miles, Newton is located about 8 miles west of Boston.   Newton is a diverse community comprised of individual villages, each with its own distinctive personality, character, and architecture.  Just how many villages is disputed. 

Oak Hill Park is usually thought to be part of Oak Hill and both are part of Newton Centre postal service.  Four Corners, located at the corner of Beacon Street and Walnut Street, is sometimes thought to be a village of its own sitting right where Newton Highlands borders Newton Centre.  Thompsonville , whose boarders are also difficult to discern, relates more to Chestnut Hill and Newton Centre.  Newtonville is the parent post office to Newton Corner and the New Town PO Box.

These ten villages coincide with the Newton Zip Code Map and alphabetically include Auburndale= 02466 - Chestnut Hill=02467 - Newton Centre=02459 - Newton Highlands=02461 - Newton Lower Falls=02462 - Newton Upper Falls=02464 - Newtonville=02460 - Nonantum=02458 - Waban=02468 - and West Newton=02465


Click HERE to interact with the Map of Newton Villages 

Search for any SCHOOLS in proximity to any home address you are considering. 

Be sure to set the distance to 1 mile.  Search schools in any Newton village

Newton is the sum of its parts     The villages, schools, and transit

Map of Elementary School Districts       Newton Public Schools       Public and Private Schools in Newton

  Map of Middle School Districts        Map of High School Districts        Map of Newton Zip Codes    

Newton Voting and School District Info by Address        Best Villages to live in Newton Blog

 Official Newton Website       Map of Open Space in Newton       Map of Newton Public Transit 

Newton Household Income and Demographics    Online Tours of Newton

 

Auburndale lies at the western end of Newton near the intersection of interstate highways 90 and 95, and is bisected by the Massachusetts Turnpike.

The number of clergymen living in the village in the early years prompted the name "Saints’ Rest".  Originally called “Pigeonville”, for the Pigeon family, Auburndale was given its present name in 1845 by Reverend Charles Pigeon.  

In 1834, Auburndale was only a flagging stop on the new Boston and Worcester Railroad.  Despite being just two miles from the station stop at West Newton, this stop inspired dramatic real estate activity and residential growth.   Here is a site giving the history of the Auburndale Rail Station.

Auburndale schools include two elementary schools, as well as Lasell College.

     Williams Elementary School  141 Grove Street, Auburndale, MA 02466  (617) 559-6480 

      Burr Elementary School 171 Pine Street,  Auburndale, MA 02466  (617) 559-9360

Public transportation is provided by the MBTA service in Auburndale

Woodland stop on the MBTA Green Line ("Riverside" branch)

The Riverside stop on the MBTA Green Line ("Riverside" branch)

MBTA Bus # 500  [Express Bus] (Riverside - Downtown Boston)

MBTA Bus # 558  (Auburndale-Newton Corner)

Auburndale Square is the location of the Auburndale branch of the Newton Free Library, the Turtle Lane Playhouse, and many small businesses.  Current community involvement can be seen on the Auburndale Community Association ‘s web page.

 The Post Office is located at 2122  Commonwealth Ave. 

Auburndale is surrounded by three other Newton villages (West Newton, Waban, and Newton Lower Falls) as well as the towns of Waltham and Weston.

Auburndale was the home of Norumbega Park which closed in 1963. The park included rides, a zoo, boating and the one time nationally-famous Totem Pole Ballroom.  

                             Map of Auburndale    


Chestnut Hill is a wealthy suburban village notable for its stately old houses, scenic landscape, and the historic campus of Boston College.

In 1821 a retired sea captain by the name of Joseph Lee bought 165 acres which had belonged to the Hammond family.  The farmland was located partly in Newton and partly in Brookline. Upon his death he left it to his nieces and nephews who paid little attention to it.  However, in 1850, Beacon Street was laid out connecting Newton Centre with the road across the Back Bay in Boston, and two years later the Charles River Railroad, although it was  not intended for passenger service, it did make Boston seem to be within reach.    Lee’ s heirs built their own homes there and laid out a sub-division for a community which they called Chestnut Hill referring  to a series of small hills that overlook the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.

Chestnut Hill is not an incorporated municipal entity, but unlike most of them, it encompasses parts of three separate municipalities: the town of Brookline, the city of Boston (parts of its neighborhoods of Brighton and West Roxbury), and the city of Newton, Massachusetts

Public transportation is provided by the MBTA in Chestnut Hill.

The Chestnut Hill Post Office is located at 12 Middlesex Road.

 Map of Chestnut Hill     


 Newton Centre  is the largest of the Newton villages and was once the geographical center of Newton, Massachusetts. The main commercial center of "Newton Centre" is at the intersection of Beacon Street and Centre Street. Newton City Hall is located at 1000 Commonwealth Avenue in Newton Centre.  

By the time the town of Newton was established in 1688, Newton Centre area was already home to many families.   In 1721 residents in the area, built a meeting house at the corner of the Centre and Homer Street.  It was the establishment of this Town House, which gave the Village its name. 

Following the loss of territory to Roxbury and Waltham, this village was no longer the geographic center of town.  In 1849, after many bitter debates, the Town House was moved to West Newton.  But the village of Newton Centre remains "The Centre" to those who live there.

The Newton Centre Green located at Centre St. and Langely Road hosts Sunday Evening Ethnic Festivals throughout the summer.

Public Transportaton is provided by the MBTA in Newton Centre  

Newton Centre Public Schools include:

Bowen Elementary School  280 Cypress Street Newton Centre, MA 02459 (617) 559-9330

Mason-Rice Elementary School 149 Pleasant Street, Newton Centre, MA 02459 (617) 559-9570

Brown Middle School  125 Meadowbrook Road Newton Centre, MA  (617) 559-6900

Oak Hill Middle School  02459  130 Wheeler Road Newton Centre, MA  (617) 559-9200

Newton South High 140 Brandeis Road Newton Centre, MA  (617) 559-6500

Ward Elementary School 10 Dolphin Road, Newton Centre, MA 02459  (617) 559-6450  

Memorial Spaulding Elementary School 250 Brookline Street, Newton Centre, MA 02459  (617) 559-9600

Private Schools

Solomon Schechter Jewish Day School  60 Stein Circle, Newton Centre, MA  02459 (617) 928-7100

Montessori Educare 80 Crescet Ave. Newton Centre, MA 02459 (617) 332-0581

Newton Centre Post Office  716 Beacon St.02459 (617) 244-2062

  Map of Newton Centre   


Newton Corner straddles the Massachusetts Turnpike.  Like all the villages in Newton, the boundaries of Newton Corner are not well defined.

By 1726 a small community, which eventually became Newton Corner, developed just south of the Watertown bridge.   It was originally called Angier’s Corner after the local tavern owner, Oakes Angier.   From the beginning of the nineteenth century, stage coaches to the west and the Boston and Worcester Railroad passed through the Corner.   The local station became known as Newton Corner.

Newton Corner has a shopping area at Centre Street and Washington Street, where you can get express buses to both downtown Boston and the Copley area of Boston.

Newton Corner is the home to the Jackson Homestead, the City Museum of Newton.  

Public Transportation is provided by the MBTA in Newton Corner.     The nearest T Station is in West Newton  

Newton Corner is one of the largest bus transfer points in the city.

Newton Corner is the site of the oldest European settlement in the city of Newton, and the oldest place to be called "Newton" (originally "New Town").

 Newton Corner Photos
The Post Office also thinks the name of the village is Newton!  
123 Galen Street, Newton, MA 02458 (617) 926-9259
 Schools in Newton Corner include:

  Underwood Elementary School 101 Vernon Street, Newton, MA 02458  (617) 559-9660

  Lincoln-Eliot Elementary School  191 Pearl Street, Newton, MA 02458  (617) 559-9540

  Bigelow Middle School 42 Vernon Street Newton, MA 02458 (617) 552-7800

   Map of Newton Corner  


 Newton Highlands  refers to a commercial district centered on Lincoln St. as well as a stop of the Green Line of the MBTA.  Although there was no village in the north vicinity, the Charles River Railroad was extended through Newton to service the Oak Hill area south of the track .   The Oak Hill stop was built at the present Newton Highlands T stop.  As a result, the area north of the track experienced its first period of development and the basic street pattern took shape. Newton Highlands was chosen as the name for the emerging village north of the track.

Newton Highlands has an annual celebration in June called Village Day during which there is a road race, local vendors can sell their goods, and there are various amusements, including some small midway rides.  Shops in Newton Highlands include: Games and Gizmos, Ice Cream Works, and Lincoln Street Coffee.

The Newton Highlands Post Office is located at 63 Lincoln St.                                                                       Newton Highlands, MA 02461 (617) 527-0748

There isa  Newton Highlands MBTA Green Line Stop at Lincoln and Walnut Streets.

 Green Line  Green Line D Branch

MBTA # 59 (Needham Jct - Watertown) bus

 Countrywide School in Newton Highlands

 Map of Newton Highlands


 Newton Lower Falls  is a village Tucked away in the far Northwestern corner of the city.  Newton Lower Falls was developed to take advantage of the water power available from the Charles River. One of the country's first paper mills was built here. The village is located at the Charles River and the Leo Martin public golf course. The commercial area extends across the river into Wellesley,where it is known as Wellesley Lower Falls, and where a majority of the retail businesses are located. 

Newton’s actual Lower Falls are centered on the park at the old Hamilton elementary school.   The Charles River drops 18 feet over less than a quarter mile with a series of three small dams with fish ladders located along the drop.

Main streets include Grove St., Washington St.(Route16), and Concord St.

In 1816 Newton's first Post Office opened here to service the inns, stores, mills and growing population. There was a daily stagecoach to Boston, and beginning in 1840, a new railroad spur.   Today’s Post Office is located 2344 Washington St., Newton Lower Falls, MA 02462 (617) 527-4045

The first gristmill operated before 1700 and many more mills appeared along the river over the next century. The paper mill building at the lower falls, remains a popular and busy place today.

Angier School

Williams School

  Map of Newton Lower Falls


 Newton Upper Falls is the smallest village but has over 150 homes on the historic register, and was among the six founding villages of Newton.  Sullivan Avenue, an unpaved private road in Newton Upper Falls is the last remaining portion of the ancient highway connecting Boston and Cambridge with Newton and points west in the 1600s.  The Upper Falls Newton Upper Falls is home to the famous Hemlock Gorge and Echo Bridge, a large aqueduct turned pedestrian walkway over the Charles River.

By 1820, Upper Falls was emerging as a typical self-sufficient New England mill village where worker's living quarters abutted the mills and the more affluent residents lived on the hillside above.   It is said to be the only village that has retained its original name from when the area was founded in the 1600s.

Newton Upper Falls lies south of Route 9 and borders Wellesley and Needham.  Today the beautiful meandering Charles River, forming the long southern borders of Upper Falls, brings scenic pleasure and recreational enjoyment to village residents.  Echo Bridge, built in 1876, is a 500 foot long granite bridge with the highest stone arches in the world.

  Historian Kenneth W. Newcomb has written a history of Newton Upper Falls, Makers of the Mold.

The Newton Upper Falls Post Office is located at 81 Oak St. Newton Upper Falls, MA 02464

(617) 527-2491

Also on Sullivan Avenue is a famous pothole (not the kind you avoid with your car) but a geological anomaly where a boulder that was originally pushed down the cliff by a now extinct waterfall got caught and became round. The boulder spun around in its place carving a shaft over thousands of years. Since then half the shaft collapsed and now all that can be seen is half of a cylindrical shaft through the cliff at the corner of Sullivan and Elliot Streets.

Countryside School services Newton Upper Falls

  Map of Newton Upper Falls


 Newtonville  was Newton’s first railroad village.  When the railroad opened a depot midway between the stations at Newton Corner and West Newton, there was little to suggest that this would become the center of a thriving village and home of  Newton North High School  

Before the Boston and Worcester Railroad opened in 1834 there were only two buildings in the vicinity: the old Hull mansion from which the depot took the name of Hull’s Crossing, and a storehouse for the grain from Joseph Bullough’s grist mill.  By 1847, Newtonville, was a thriving residential community when name "Newtonville" first appeared in the Town Meeting records.

Newtonville is divided by the Mass. Turnpike and is a stop for the commuter train to Boston. The Commercial district, with a large range of shops, is located mainly on Washington and Walnut Street.

Newtonville Schools include

Cabot School  229 Cabot Street, Newtonville, MA 02460   (617) 559-9400

Horace Mann School  687 Watertown Street, Newtonville, MA 02460  (617) 559-9510

Newton North High School  360 Lowell Avenue Newtonville, MA (617) 559-6400

Public transportation is provided by the  Newtonville station on the MBTA Commuter Rail Line and the MBTA Bus #59 , 553, 554, and 556.

  Map of Newtonville


 Nonantum   The original Nonantum was a  village to the east of Newton Corner established for the Indians by the Reverend John Eliot in 1646. The word is from a Native American word meaning "rejoicing".   It is also known as Silver Lake or The Lake. The Lake dialect, referred to as Lake Talk, was an idiosyncratic language similar to Angloromani spoken among Italian-American locals .  The lake referred to was filled with construction rubble and built over in the 1930s.

Nonantum figures in early Massachusetts history as the home of Waban, one of the first Native Americans in Massachusetts to convert to Christianity. David Bemis' paper mill opened in 1778. Soon other factories were built in the area and by the 1880’s several other industries had sprung up. Residents adopted the name 'Nonantum' from one of these businesses, namely the Nonantum Worsted Company.

The village is one of the centers of Italian population in Newton. Newton Catholic High School (now known as Trinity Catholic High School) is located in the village. The commercial area has numerous restaurants and food establishments featuring Italian cuisine.  Many people in the village are descendants from San Donato Val di Comino, Italy.

Some famous former residents of Nonantum are actress Marianne Leone and actor Matt Leblanc.

  Nonantum Photos

Nonantum Post Office is at 326 Watertown St, Nonantum, MA 02495  (617) 244-1073

 Nonantum Schools:

Lincoln-Eliot School   191 Pearl Street, Newton, MA 02458  (617) 559-9540

 Public Transportation     

 MBTA Bus #558    MBTA Bus # 59

  Map of Nonantum


 Oak Hill borders West Roxbury and South Brookline on the far south of Newton.  It is unique as it was one of the last villages to be developed only after the advent of the automobile.  Despite its accessible location, wetlands kept farms scattered and widespread, discouraging the development of a community village. As a result neither stagecoach nor railroad was routed there.   

Oak Hill is the most suburban of the villages of Newton and has no significant shopping center located in it.  It is home of  Newton South High School as well as to the Oak Hill and Charles E. Brown Middle Schools. The elementary school Memorial Spaulding on Brookline St. is also located in this village.

Oak Hill Park (OHP) is part of the Oak Hill, village and borders the West Roxbury section of Boston. It is bordered by Mount Ida College to the northwest and Mt. Lebanon Cemetery to its southeast.  Oak Hill Park is a post-WWII subdivision built on a gravel quarry for the returning GI's and is sometimes considered to be a separate neighborhood from Newton and is shown as a separate village on some city maps including the one used above and was once described as a sort of Levittown named after William Levitt for  his innovations in providing affordable housing popularized in the years following World War II.

   Map of Oak Hill Park


 Thompsonville is the villages of Newton that seems to have the most ambiguous boundaries. This village has been heavily disputed among its residents over the years. Its boundaries seem to overlap those of Chestnut Hill and Newton Centre. A majority of residents in the village refer to their address as Chestnut Hill or Newton Centre rather than Thompsonville. It seems that the Bowen Neighborhood Association seems to keep the village alive.

The village acquired its name from a Mr. Thompson who was a laboring man that lived a hermit type of life in that community. A few families, mostly German, settled there.

As hyou drive past the Chestnut Hill Mall heading west on Route 9, the Atrium Mall looms on your left. On your right, there is an exit that provides a U-turn back toward the mall. As you take it, there is a small green sign that says, "Thompsonville."

According to the city of Newton, Thompsonville is the area roughly bound by Beacon and Boylston Streets north and south respectively and the Hammond Park Parkway and Parker Street to the east and west.

The Bowen Thompsonville Neighborhood Association claims that the boundary lines are slightly farther north as shown here on their website map.  Thompsonville thus overlaps with Newton Centre.  Andover Newton Theological Seminary falls within the boundaries of Thompsonville.

The Eliot stop on the MBTA Green Line ("Riverside" branch)

 Newton Center T Stop is used by Thompsonville residents.

   Map of Thompsonville


 Waban was named for the chief of the Nonantum “praying Indians” tribe who were the first Massachusetts Indian converted to Christianity, in 1646.  The area around the present village of Waban was his favorite hunting ground.

 In 1855 Beacon Street was continued westward from Newton Centre to the junction of Woodward and Washington Streets. This intersection was also the meeting place of the four farms that covered nearly all of present-day Waban.

Waban does not have exactly defined boundaries, but it is roughly equivalents to the 02468 Zip Code defined on the map above.  There is a small village center and shopping area at the intersection of Beacon St. and Windsor Rd. The center has a branch of the Newton Free Library and an MBTA commuter line station.   The village is also nicely located near Route 128 and the Mass Pike. 

Waban Post Office 83 Wyman St.Waban, MA  02168  (617) 527-7289

Waban Library Branch  1608 Beacon St, Waban, MA 02468 (617) 552-7166 

Waban has two elementary schools - Angier and Zervas  Waban Schools

   Map of Waban  


West Newton is one of the oldest of the Newton villages.  Like all of the villages in Newton its boundaries are not firmly defined, but the Zip Code 02465 roughly matches the village limits. West Newton is located in the north central part of Newton.  It is basically bordered by the City of Waltham on the North and by the Newton villages of Auburndale (on the west), Newton Lower Falls (on the extreme Southwest), Newtonville (on the East) and Waban (on the South).

 

The North Street Bridge, built in 1761, joined the towns of Newton and Waltham. This bridge along with a riverside road joining main roads to other communities met at the center of a new village called West Newton Square.  The meeting house built there in 1764 became the Second Church in Newton when the West Parish was incorporated in 1781.

Proximity to the railroad, which drew many new residents to the north side of the town, contributed further to the development of West Newton and was an important factor in having the Newton Centre Town Hall transferred there from Newton Centre in 1849.

Public Schools include Franklin School and Peirce School

Public Transportation:

The West Newton station on the MBTA Commuter Rail Line.

MBTA Bus #553/554 (Roberts [Waltham]/Waverly - Newton Corner

West Newton’s Post Office is located at 525 Waltham St. West Newton, MA 02165 (617) 244-7277

  Map of West Newton  


 

Schools in West Newton